Friday, June 23, 2006

Wallets

I noticed my 18-year-old-son's wallet laying next to his keys on the little built-in desk in the kitchen. I was surprised by my feelings...a curious rush. I picked it up and looked at his drivers license. Memories of wallets filled my mind; my dad's wallet, my ex husband's and my husband's wallet. The smell of the leather, the curious contents. Wallets are so masculine to me. Not the ones fresh from the box, but the ones with the patina of back pocket time.

I still don't understand, and can't label my feelings, but I know that my son's wallet indicated to me that my youngest baby boy is now a man. Wallets make me feel safe..it must be a daddy thing.

http://www.eddequincey.com/wallets/gallery.asp

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Stivers said...

Very poetic. I love to think about the relationship between people and their everyday objects. A lot of my cartoons have to do with projecting human emotions and relationships onto inantimate objects.
I have similar feelings when I look at my daughter's things.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Mark Stivers said...

That should be spelled "inanimate."

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home