Friday, August 12, 2005

Sweet, Special Gifts

POWER... these gifts have great power because they were made in school by my sons. Aren't they great by school-gift standards? Any mother knows how adorable, clever and precious they are....

I threw them out today.

The *kids* who created these beauties are 24 and 17. I have TONS more. I'm moving from a large house to a small house and don't have room for these or the other stuff...I have 5 kids and NOW I'm also getting "wonderful presents" from my grandchildren too. Don't I sound like a jerk? GUiLT....aaaargh!

Pictured : Can bird house, wooden house, and potpourri pie.

At least I took a picture of them. I know if the boys saw them in the garbage they'd be offended. I have a tattered and dirtied bunny made from a pink wash cloth. I asked the creator if I could changed it back to a wash rag since it was falling apart and you should have seen his 17 year old face. I guess this is the worst faux pas a mother could commit. I may need therapy over this.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark Stivers said...

One of the greatest things I learned in studying art is not to be precious about everything I make. Nine out of ten things you make should be thrown out immediately, and if you make one thing in your lifetime that's worth looking at after your death, you're lucky. The point is, you do it for the feeling of "flow," and the practice of your craft, and if you get a good result, that's gravy. For success in anything, you need to strive for results, and yet always be able to step back and mock your striving.

Anyway, what I'm saying is your kids need to get a grip. You're not a bad mother. In fact, if you are able to throw things away, you're a great mother!

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home